Can You Be Happy Being Single?

Can someone who's been in a relationship a long time actually be happy single? Being in a committed relationship, or married gives you a secure feeling that you are not in this world alone. You have someone to talk to at home, someone to share the covers with, dinner partner and and all around companion. It's a good feeling, and for me, it was a GREAT feeling. I grew up watching my parents be together, but my father was always out and about because he was a sports person and spent most of his off-work hours with his buddies playing softball, basketball, or bowling. Mom always seemed to be alone, except for toting us kids around....and they eventually divorced because she felt alone most of the time. But back to the question at hand...and I think that YES !  you can certainly be happy being single. Being single just gives you more power in being able to choose your options. You don't have to share the covers, watch a tv show that you don't like, and you can choose to do whatever you wish, and most of the time, whenever you like too.  I have found that while being single, I learned how to better stand on my own two feet about some things in life, made my own decisions and grew up a little more. Being single can also lead you to seek out new friends to go shopping with, movies, and dining out. But for how long does one stay single?  That's another question entirely.

2 comments:

Jeannie said...

While infidelity sucks, it's important to remind ourselves all the time of reasons to be happy and celebrate our independence. I wrote a book called “365 Reasons Why I’m Still Single.” It's a lighthearted and fun take on being single...and a reason for every day of the year. Makes a great gift for you or your single friends. Check it out on Amazon or be a fan on Facebook (or both!) http://amzn.to/efDMiC

Anonymous said...

There are many things that need to be remembered when faced with infidelity and the pain that is often associated with it. There is good information at http://theinfidelityauthority.com/2011/03/useful-and-free-relationship-advice/ that I found to be extremely helpful.